What are things that make me happy?
Accepting that your day isn’t going according to plan is one thing, but not doing anything about it is another. What do you do when you’re in a funk or having a bad day? There’s no point in letting one little thing ruin the rest of the precious hours you have to spend with family, friends, or doing something that you love.
A bad grade, a parking ticket, disagreement with your significant other, or poor feedback from your boss can definitely put a dark cloud over you, but you don’t have to let it loom.Take action and come up with a list of things that make you happy and keep it handy inside your desk or pocket book. Leave it as a note on your phone to open when you’re feeling down. In this post, I share my go-to list of 100 things that make me happy.
I’ve always been a simple girl, never asking or wanting for too much. Uplifting my mood doesn’t take a lot of effort. A corny joke, helping a stranger, or receiving a hug from a loved one instantly allows me to tap into gratitude. Putting things into perspective gives us the reality check we need. Is wallowing in sorrow throughout the day really worth it?
Twenty-four hours with your head down in the dumps solves nothing. Sometimes, you have to think yourself happy, or at the very least, engage in simple pleasures that bring you enjoyment.
100 things that make me happy list
- Laughing hysterically at my own corny jokes (never take yourself too seriously!)
- Binge watching my favorite Netflix series
- A bowl of french vanilla ice cream
- A long, hot bath
- Lighting a candle and getting cozy with a page-turning read
- A nice, warm breeze across my face
- Listening to crickets sing
- A walk through nature
- Trying a new restaurant
- Taking a weekend vacation
- Learning a new skill
- Playing a game of UNO
- A trip to the bookstore
- Girl talk with friends
- Sipping on a cup of hot, green tea
- Cooking a difficult recipe
- Finding the perfect gift for a special someone
- Adding to my capsule wardrobe
- Getting a pedicure
- Feet rubs and massages
- Deep dish pizza from Bella Bacinos (Sweet Home Chicago!)
- At home facials
- Site seeing and taking photos
- Playing dress up
- Listening to 90s pop and R&B music
- Attending a theatrical play
- Strawberry banana oatmeal smoothies
- Long walks on the beach with a significant other
- A baby’s laughter
- Singing in the shower
- Golden Retriever puppies
- Decorating my home
- Buying a new pair of shoes
- A slice of strawberry cheesecake
- Reading the bible or a daily devotional
- Watching the sunset
- Writing session at my local coffee shop
- Picnics in the park
- The smell of baked chocolate chip cookies
- Working in the garden
- Sleeping in
- Birds chirping on my window pane
- Quiet moments
- A hearty meal
- Playing Scrabble
- Meeting new people
- My nighttime skincare routine
- Stellar customer reviews
- Star-gazing late at night
- Cooking a fun dish
- Midday naps
- Helping the less fortunate
- Checking things off my to-do list
- Creating vision boards on Pinterest
- Snuggling under my heated throw blanket
- Going for a joy ride around the city
- Writing romance stories
- Staying hydrated
- Full morning workouts
- Building brands for new businesses
- Chicken nuggets
- Date nights
- Shopping sprees at HomeGoods
- Dancing when no one is watching
- Going to see a live band in concert
- Watching the movie Clueless for the thousandth time
- Pink peonies
- Mindful eating
- Tidy spaces
- Fresh linen sheets on my bed
- Taco Tuesdays
- Flipping through old scrapbooks and photo albums
- Finding a good sale
- Spending quality time with family
- Playing hooky from work or school
- Reading uplifting daily affirmations
- Bike rides
- Thunderstorms when I don’t have to leave the house
- Small acts of kindness
- Finding money in my pocket
- Sharing a random conversation with strangers
- Being greeted by my dog at the door
- Catching up with an old friend or coworker
- Sour patches, pink Starbursts, and Skittles
- Late night movies
- An extra hour of sleep
- Cancelled work meetings
- Breakfast in bed
- Completing a DIY project
- Listening to anything by Sade
- Practicing yoga
- My freelance writing clients
- Mango dragon fruit refreshers from Starbucks
- Performing a dance routine on Tik-Tok
What are 5 things that make you happy?
Have you ever created a ‘things that make you happy’ list? Well, now is a great time to do so. Think about what makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside or what often brings a smile to your face. Is it that ‘good morning’ text from your new beau? Your daily stroll through the park or fresh flowers on your work desk?
As soon as we leave our front doorstep, we open ourselves to the world. We can’t control our encounters with strangers, disagreements at the office, or the feedback we receive that isn’t always favorable. Grumpy train riders during your commute or the disgruntled cashier who overcharged you at the deli are, unfortunately, inevitable. We can’t let minor mishaps dictate our moods. I still live by the five by five rule. Don’t sweat the small stuff (remember this!).
You can start your day with a positive attitude, but that won’t stop others from dimming your light. This is where I recall the five simple things that make me personally happy – a quick chat with my mom, a trip to Starbucks, a long walk, listening to a funny podcast, and a long hot bath.
Grab a notepad and pen. Brainstorm five simple things that make you happy.
How can I be happy right now?
I’d like to think that gratitude always works. Whenever I’m feeling down in the dumps, I put things into perspective. Compared to others, am I really suffering? I have my health, a place to lay my head, and food to eat, which may be luxuries for someone else.
There’s a special space in my daily planner that I use to remind myself of what I should be grateful for every day. Meditation, prayer, or taking some quiet time out of your day to journal your thoughts is a great way to center yourself. Sometimes, we aren’t as unlucky as we think.
There’s always someone out there who may be less fortunate than you. Make sure you count your blessings. There are various ways to become a happier person, but the ultimate decision is completely up to you.
Monitor your mood
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Did you go to bed too late and need more rest? Is that argument with a close friend or significant other still lingering on your mind? Take a minute to sit in silence and assess your mood. Rather than lashing out or displacing your anger against others, jot down what’s not going so well that day and what is.
Give yourself enough grace and permission to feel upset then let the grouchiness in you subside. This is an exercise you can do to uplift your mood whenever you’re ‘killing the vibe’ around you. People can feel the energy that we radiate, so why not uplift our environment by being the light and positivity in the room? Reflect and check your mood to become a happier version of you every single day.
Help someone else
I know you’re probably thinking, if I’m in a crappy mood why would I want to help someone else? Well, my friend, helping others takes the focus off of our problems and allows us to be a problem solver for someone else’s. Most people feel a sense of pride and satisfaction when their knowledge, resources, or services are valuable and can resolve what many others may find frustrating. Teach a co-worker a new strategy at the office, tutor a student, or donate to the homeless; one of these things will surely put a smile on your face.
After a hectic day, your body and brain needs sleep to re-energize and recover from all the stress and hard work we put it through the day before. As simple as it sounds, it works. Sometimes, we need to simply ‘sleep it off’; whatever is distracting us or throwing our energy off. Although we may not sleep away grief, a job loss, or something affecting our health, we can forgive and forget minor transgressions. How often do you harbor the same anger or negativity that disrupted your life twenty-four hours before?
Every morning we have a new opportunity to begin our day with a fresh start. Give yourself a new slate and show up as your best self. Don’t allow what happened at the beginning of the week or two months prior dictate how you treat others. Take back control over your life and your happiness. Let go of grudges and distractions that don’t contribute to your personal growth or how you would like to feel on a day-to-day basis.
Simple things that make me happy
Some simple things that make me happy may resonate with you; some may not and that’s perfectly okay. One thing I’ve learned on my journey to simple living is to not overcomplicate things. The simpler life is, the less clutter and the fewer decisions we have to make. I’m a stickler for routines, but I’m also a realist who knows not everything will always go as planned. There are some days I may start off on the wrong foot, but as long as I have my nifty list of 100 things that make me happy I can get back on track again.
Download the 31 Day Simple Living Challenge to improve your life today! Now available in the FREE RESOURCE LIBRARY!
I teach entrepreneurs how to simplify their life and business with less + own their time and maximize productivity towards their personal and monetary goals.