What are simple pleasures?
Simple pleasures are everyday indulgences, kind gestures, experiences, and daily habits we participate in that subconsciously attribute to our happiness, but often take for granted as well.
The best things in life are free. As a child, you may have heard this saying before and thought nothing of it until adulthood. Through life experiences we learn that the simplest things can put a smile on our faces.
A pinch of sun creeping through the window at the crack of dawn. The smell of fresh flowers. A long, embrace from a loved one.
It’s the still, small moments, sensations, and our interactions with others that mean the most.
Monetary gifts may be costly but they don’t hold much value in our lives. Some people long for a ‘quiet’ night in and relaxation after a hectic day of work. Spending quality time or sharing laughter with a friend or significant other is priceless for most. Heck, even going for a walk or getting some fresh air can make your day brighter.
Certain feelings that bring us an insurmountable amount of joy just can’t be bought.
What’s something simple in life that you really enjoy?
What things bring you pleasure on a daily basis? Simple pleasures occur as soon as we wake up in the morning and can take place at times we least expect them.
One of the simple pleasures I enjoy after I arrive home is kicking off my shoes and curling my bare toes into my favorite shaggy rug.
My evening routine involves simple pleasures that always uplift my mood. Mini facials, an exfoliating body scrub in the shower, and a hot cup of tea I can drink while reading a good book.
As individuals, we all define happiness differently, but there are plenty of life’s simple pleasures we all have in common.
85 funny yet simple pleasures in life
- Sharing an inside joke with a colleague or friend
- The smell of fresh rain
- Getting the last corner of milk left in the carton
- Winning a scratch off
- Finding a hidden note from your loved one in your lunch
- Recalling an old memory filled with laughter
- Getting the window seat on the plane
- Riding in a drop top car on a hot summer day
- Laying on fresh, clean linen
- A free t-shirt
- Watching the sunset
- A scoop of ice cream
- Popping bubble wrap
- Sipping on a hot beverage in the wintertime
- Savoring a bite of your favorite dessert
- Late night talks on the phone with a significant other
- Dancing when no one is around
- A fresh new car smell
- A good sneeze
- Cuddling up with a good book
- Playing hooky from work
- Greeted by your pet when you make it home
- Freshly, baked homemade cookies
- Pulling into a lane where you’re the first car in line
- Reciting lines from your favorite movie
- Having a stranger pick up the tab
- Nice views
- Fridays + Weekends
- Putting on pajamas and socks right out of the dryer
- Sleeping in
- A soak in a hot tub or jacuzzi
- Hearing an old song play on the radio that you used to love
- Digging your feet into warm sand
- A high-five at the perfect moment
- A bright, sunny morning
- When you beat the red light
- Hearing a baby’s laughter
- A fresh sheet of snow on the ground
- The smell of gasoline
- Getting undressed
- Hitting the snooze button
- Watching the sunset
- Taking the last slice of pizza
- Fuzzy, cozy socks
- Movie theatre popcorn
- Foot massages
- Listening to a thunderstorm when you’re inside
- A bite into your first meal of the day
- Midday naps
- Christmas lights
- Walks in the park
- Good customer service
- The sound of the cork after popping champagne
- Bacon for breakfast
- Hot showers
- A gut wrenching laugh that makes you cry
- A glass of wine
- Shedding a few pounds
- Walking into a clean house
- Checking everything off your to-do list
- Finishing a project
- Warm summer breezes
- Watching waves brush against the shore
- Traveling to a new city
- A stack of hot pancakes and maple syrup
- Quitting a job you hate
- Leftover takeout from your favorite restaurant
- Listening to nature
- Volunteering or making a donation
- Date nights
- Aromatherapy from a scented candle
- Free Wi-fi
- Unexpected deliveries on your doorstep
- Endless summer nights
- Putting a smile on someone else’s face
- Cooking a tasty dish
- Emptying your email inbox
- Mini facials at home
- Raindrops on your window pane
- Gifting presents
- Direct deposits
- A feeling of nostalgia from 1980s music and movies
Simple pleasures aren’t hard to come by.
They are often found in the daily routines and habits that uplift our mood. The interactions we have with our families, co-workers, and friends that brighten up our day.
The jokes we share with strangers in passing or generous compliments we receive in public are things that put a smile on our faces at no cost.
Simply waking up in the morning and returning home safely is a reason to be grateful.
Life’s simple pleasures and the abundance of joy they bring shouldn’t be ignored. We need to give credit where it’s due.
Are you ready to simplify your life?
Download the 31 Day Simple Living Challenge now available in the FREE RESOURCE LIBRARY!
I teach entrepreneurs how to simplify their life and business with less + own their time and maximize productivity towards their personal and monetary goals.